Production by Month
This dataset contains monthly production volumes for U.S. federal minerals on both land (onshore) and water (offshore) and Native American minerals. We have monthly production data from January 2003 through the most recently available month, which is usually 3-4 months prior to the current month.
Download production data by month:
This dataset includes natural resource production for U.S. federal minerals for both onshore and offshore areas and Native American minerals. It does not include privately owned minerals or U.S. state minerals. The dataset includes data tracked and managed by the Department of the Interior’s Office of Natural Resources Revenue (ONRR). Monthly production data is available for coal, oil, and gas. The production data for oil and gas is collected on Form ONRR-4054-B (Oil and Gas Operations Report, Part B). Coal production is collected on Form ONRR-4430 (Solid Minerals Production and Royalty Report).
We update this production data every month, but final production numbers aren't available for 3-4 months. For example, the most recent production data for a file updated in November will be from July or August.
Monthly totals and annual totals
The sum of 12-month production totals for a given calendar or fiscal year may not add up to the annual total found in the production by year data.
- Operators may not report on time, meaning production for a past month might increase when the operator submits the report and ONRR updates the data.
- The Bureau of Land Management may choose to change agreements and units after production. These changes may affect the allocation of the production volume, changing the data.
For example, changing an agreement retroactively may change the allocation of production among states, the federal government, and Native American tribes and individuals. As a result, the apportioned totals in the data would change.
Fields and definitions
Date The date in which the production occurred.
Land Class This field distinguishes federal lands and waters from Native American lands.
- Federal includes Federal minerals that are owned by or under the jurisdiction of the federal government, including: public domain, acquired, military acquired, and the Outer Continental Shelf.
- Native American includes Tribal minerals held in trust by the federal government for a tribe’s use, and allotments held in trust by the federal government for individual Native American use.
Land Category This field distinguishes between onshore and offshore production.
- Onshore Situated or occurring on land
- Offshore Submerged lands located farther than three miles off a state’s coastline, or three marine leagues into the Gulf of Mexico off Texas and Western Florida
Commodity We have monthly data for oil, gas, and coal, since these are high-volume commodities that result in the most revenue. This field includes the units for each commodity in parentheses.
- Oil Prod Vol (bbl) Oil production, measured in barrels (bbl)
- Gas Prod Vol (Mcf) Gas (natural gas), measured in thousand cubic feet (Mcf)
- Coal Prod Vol (ton) Coal is measured in tons. A ton is 2000 pounds.
Volume Shows the production volume (amount produced). The units for volume are shown in the preceding field (Commodity).
Do you have questions about the data or need data that isn't here? Contact our data specialists at firstname.lastname@example.org